Gerhard Weber’s single-storey single-fami ly homes, both 148 square meters in size, are located along Händelal lee behind the Schwedenhaus. The T-shaped floor plans mirror one another. The eastern house can be reached from Händelallee, the western home via an access road. Weber wanted to design large yards and thus placed the houses with garages at the northern end of the plots. This al lows for a courtyard behind the houses that is separated from the Jacobsen homes to the north by a wall. The courtyard could be used to dry clothing or as a place for the children to play monitored from the kitchen window. At the same time, this courtyard provides sunlight for the corridor and the bathroom. The living rooms and bedrooms face the garden side. The living room is kept as large as possible, resulting in smaller bedrooms. A wall separating the terraces and gardens of the two homes provides privacy. The buildings were erected using prefabricated aerated concrete panels (Siporex); the roof is also constructed using prefabricated slabs placed on supporting walls.
* 1909 in Mylau (Vogtland) † 1977 in Berg at the Starnberger Lake
- studied at the Staatliche Akademie für Kunstgewerbe, Dresden and at the Bauhaus, Dessau, including under Mies van der Rohe and Ludwig Hilbersheimer
- 1935 employment at Henschel Flugzeugwerke
- from 1938 employee of the Herbert Rimpl architectural office (with 700 employees at times), prestigious and industrial buildings
- from 1942 Head of the Berlin branch office of H. Rimpl
- from 1947 Hochbauamt Frankfurt/M., a “refuge” for former Rimpl employees like Krahn, Giefer, Mäckler.
- from 1949 freelance architect in Frankfurt/M. administration and prestigious buildings
- 1954 National Theater Mannheim (with Otto E. Schweizer)
- from 1955 successor of Martin Elsaesser on the chair of Design and Building Science TH Munich
- from 1957 Hamburg State Opera, major projects such as the Garching nuclear power plant, Thyssen Hütte, Oberpostdirektion Hamburg, Deutschlandfunk Cologne