* 1883 in Berlin
† 1969 in Boston/USA
- studied at the Technical Universities of Munich and Berlin.
- 1908 worked at Peter Behrens (with Mies van der Rohe and Adolf Meyer).
- from 1910 self-employed industrial designer and architect
- 1911/1912 Fagus movement (with Adolf Meyer), Alfeld/Leine
- 1919 successor of Henry van de Velde as director of the Hochschule für Bildende Kunst in Weimar; taking over the management, he renamed the university “Staatliches Bauhaus in Weimar”
- 1925/1926 The Bauhaus moves to Dessau.
- from 1926 occupied with mass residential construction; architect at the “New Frankfurt”
- 1929–1930 Siemensstadt development, Berlin
- 1934 emigrated
- from 1937 Chair of Architecture at Harvard University, Cambridge USA
- 1946 founder of “The Architects Collaborative” (TAC)
- 1957–1959 Pan-Am Building (today Met Life), New York
- from 1960 Gropiusstadt Berlin